1) Grammy winner Lance Bass;
2) TV Chef Rocco DiSpirito;
3) Olympic Gold Medalist (just crowned) Misty May Treanor;
4) Gold medalist sprinter Maurice Green;
5) Broadway star and singer Toni Braxton;
6) Reality TV star Kim Kardashian (who seems to have just injured her foot);
7) Hannah Montana star (and youngest ever to be on the show; will be paired with Julianne Hough) Cody Linley;
8) * Actress (fabulous, I might add, and excellent comedian, and the oldest star ever on the show) Cloris Leachman;
9) Actor Ted McGinley (to be paired with new dancer Inna Brayer);
10) “Everything woman” (whatever that means) Brooke Burke;
11) Supposedly more raucous than Adam Carolla, Comedian Jeffrey Ross (who will be paired with Edyta Sliwinska);
12) Footballer Warren Sapp (paired with Kym Johnson, whom the annoyingly ingratiating Good Morning America host kept pronouncing “gorgeous, gorgeous”); and
13) (first time contestants number over 12 btw), the most famous actress in all of daytime, Susan Lucci. After making a big deal of her numerous unsuccessful Emmy nominations, said annoying GMA host pronounced being accepted to DWTS “better than any award.” Yeah, okay…
Anyway, it appears DWTS producers have tried to cover every demographic base conceivable: young Hannah Montana guy should appeal to the teenagers, while Leachman and Lucci older women (though Leachman really should appeal to EVERYONE — for people who may not know her, the woman quite simply rocks). And with the football and Olympic stars they’ve got the sports fans covered. Braxton appeals to Broadway lovers, the reality TV stars to the twenty-something crowd. And, in an attempt at creating nostalgic continuity, McGinley should remind viewers of Steve Guttenberg and Ross, the lovely Carolla.
Best thing about the Good Morning America broadcast by far: the mention of Maks Chmerkovskiy’s return. At least the silly TV talking heads haven’t forgotten the pro dancers make this show.
The new season begins September 22nd, the day after the Emmys in which host Tom Bergeron is apparently nominated for an award in the newly-created category of reality TV show host.