THIS WEEK: SWANS, SWANS AND MORE SWANS, AND AN URBAN BOLERO

(Ethan Stiefel and Gillian Murphy, photo Rosalie O’Connor, from Daily Mail)

Yep, here come the Swans! Tonight begins ABT’s Swan Lake week.

I had another hard time choosing casts. I ended up opting for the ones I haven’t yet seen, but they are really all worth seeing:

Tonight, Monday, beautiful, dramatic Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Beloserkovsky open the ballet, with my favorite Marcelo Gomes as the villain von Rothbart;

Tuesday are powerhouse Gillian Murphy dancing with forever enchanting Angel Corella;

Wednesday and Saturday matinees are David Hallberg and Michele Wiles with my new fave Cory Stearns as the villain;

Wednesday evening is critically acclaimed Diana Vishneva and Marcelo Gomes (this time as Prince Siegfried);

Thursday night are Paloma Herrera and Ethan Stiefel (fingers crossed he’s recovered from his injury);

Friday night is my favorite Vernonika Part with Italian star Roberto Bolle and David Hallberg as von Roth;

And the week will end Saturday night with the knockout, perhaps the biggest night of the entire season: widely beloved Georgian ballerina Nina Ananiashvili will give her farewell performance with ABT. She’s dancing with Angel Corella, and Marcelo again as von Roth.

slananiashvili3ne

Photo by Nancy Ellison, from ABT website)

Photo of Larry Keigwin by Tom Caravaglia, taken from Bates.

Meanwhile downtown, don’t forget about Keigwin + Company at the Joyce, opening Tuesday night, and alternating nights with Nicholas Leichter Dance.

This entry was posted in Dance Previews / Upcoming Dance Events and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to THIS WEEK: SWANS, SWANS AND MORE SWANS, AND AN URBAN BOLERO

1. Linda says:

Oh…I saw Bolle in the Royal Ballet's production and he does a great Siegfried, very princely and regal, so I can only imagine how wonderful that performance will be, with the dream team of Veronika and Hallberg. If I could attend just one performance, I would probably choose that one.

Look forward to your thoughts on the Swan Princesses and their Princes.

2. Barbara says:

I'm going Fri nite to see Bolle and Sat mat for David. I was VERY disappointed that I won't be seeing Marcelo as v. Rothbart who I think owns that role. The ABT website lists Saleviev as v. Roth with Bolle. Do you have insider info that it will be David? That would be very cool. And if I can't have Marcelo, then it might be interesting to see Cory do the role with David. I liked Cory in La Sylphide too altho it was hard getting over that my original tix were for David and then they changed the cast. Will Cory have enuf gravitas for the v. Rothbart role?

3. SwanLakeSambaGirl says:

Yes, I am definitely going to that one, Linda! Very excited!

4. SwanLakeSambaGirl says:

Hi Barbara — oh, I'm sorry, I must have written it wrong! No, I don't have insider information — David is dancing von Rothbart with the Herrera / Stiefel cast. I got them confused — sorry! I know, it's really annoying when there are cast changes. But I guess for me, I try to look at it as a good thing because it ends up allowing me to see a new person — since I have the tendency to always see the same :) And Cory was so much better than I thought he'd be in Sylphide. I don't know if he'll have enough gravitas for von Rothbart but I'm interested in finding out! This is such an exciting week!

5. Marie says:

I'm seeing Michelle Wiles, because I have never seen her dance, and I am curious. I would really like to have seen Veronika Part, but it looks like I'll just completely miss her this season.

But you haven't told us which casts you are going to see!

6. Marie says:

But you haven't told us which casts you are going to see!