Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Since I’m too lazy to figure out how to connect my wireless from my mom’s house in North Carolina (where I’m spending the holiday) so that I can download pics and therefore write a proper blog entry, I am cutting and pasting this “Thanksgiving meme” from one of my favorite blogs and filling in my own goofy answers. Why are these crazy things always so much fun?!
1. When you looked at yourself in the mirror today, what was the first thing you thought? Oof, where did those heinous under-eye bags come from? Do I need to spend another few days contact-lense-less, or am I allergic to Katydid, the cat with whom I’m spending Thanksiving, who has found in my face her perfect little bed?
2. How much cash do you have on you? $0.33. One of best things about visiting Mom is that she pays for everything 🙂
3. First word that comes to mind that rhymes with more? Bore. (what does this say about me?!)
4. Favorite planet? Mars (reminds me both of candy and bravura men from American Ballet Theater 🙂 )
5. Who’s the fourth person on your missed call list on your cell phone? Dance Times Square, reminding me that I have an upcoming lesson.
6. What’s your favorite ringtone to download on your cell phone? Same answer for me as for ABB. I’m not savvy (or patient) enough to learn how to download ring tones. I just chose the cheesy “Latin” that came with my phone — which is totally corny and bears no resemblance whatsoever to real Latin music.
7. What shirt are you wearing? I’m wearing a black dress with a pink wrap-around Danceskin sweater.
8. Do you label yourself? Hmmm. I don’t like to, but sometimes feel the need to.
9. Name the brand of shoes you’re currently wearing. Stuart Weitzman.
10. Bright or dark room? Bright, definitely, ‘a clean well-lighted place’ 🙂
11. What do you think about the person who took this survey before you? Love her, can’t get enough of her! She is by far my favorite non-dance blogger!
12. What does your watch look like? I don’t wear one; I use my cell phone to tell time.
13. What were you doing at midnight last night? Drinking green tea (as recommended by Kristin Sloan) and reading Fred Astaire’s autobiography en route to falling asleep.
14. What did your last text-message say? Can’t remember; my friends know I don’t use the cell all that much and prefer email 🙂
15. Where is your nearest 7-11? Geez, dunno; I don’t think we even have any in NY??
16. What’s a word that you say a lot? Heinous (used hyperbolically).
17. Who told you he/she loved you last? Mom.
18. Last furry thing you touched. A sweet, smelly, slobbery lovable black Lab named Gilley, who lives with Mom.
19. How many drugs have you done in the last three days? Does Advil count? If so, four doses for tendonitis flare-up.
20. How many loads of film do you need developed? None; I only use my digital now.
21. Favorite age you’ve been so far. 23, when I’d just moved to New York and before I went to law school.
22. Your worst enemy: My own self doubt.
23. What is your current desk-top picture? A vintage New Yorker cover.
24. What was the last thing you said to someone? Pass the mashed potatoes, please … again. (I don’t eat turkey).
25. If you had to choose between a million bucks or be able to fly, what would it be? Million bucks, definitely. I have fear of flying!
26. Do you like someone? For sure.
27. The last song you listened to. ‘Rocka My Soul’ from Alvin Ailey’s ‘Revelations’ soundtrack.
28. What time of day were you born? 4:15 a.m.
29. What’s your favorite number? 3.
30. Where did you live in 1987? Arizona.
31. Are you jealous of anyone? I try not to be, but can’t help succumbing to that nasty little emotion from time to time.
32. Is anyone jealous of you? I hope not.
33. Where were you when 9/11 happened? On the PATH train from Hoboken, bound for the concourse of the World Trade Center. Needless to say, I didn’t get to my destination; train stopped halfway under the Hudson river and we returned to N.J. I’ll never forget what I saw when I angrily emerged from the station for the rest of my life, of course.
34. What do you do when vending machines steal your money? I honestly can’t remember the last time I ever used one.
35. Do you consider yourself kind? Yes.
36. If you had to get a tattoo, where would it be? I can’t imagine ever getting one! They’re just not me 🙂
37. If you could be fluent in any other language, what would it be? Mandarin.
38. Would you move for the person you loved? Ohhhh, I really don’t think so, I love New York so. Only if it was absolutely essential to his health or career and only if it was to a city not one bit less exciting!
39. Are you touchy-feely. I guess so 🙂
40. What’s your life motto? Geez, this is questionnaire is hard! I’m stealing Hughes de Montalembert’s (which is posted on the side of my blog) — “If you learn to dance with people, with life, than nothing wrong can happen to you.” I was introduced to this man at the Tribeca Film Festival. He was a French artist and filmmaker who was blinded with his own paint eraser by burglars in New York in the not-so-good-old-days here. He learned to “see” in other ways, traveled, and became a writer. Talk about not letting life’s tragedies get you down…
41. Name three things that you have on you at all times. pen, notebook, camera.
42. What’s your favorite town / city? Duh, New York! After that, Paris.
43. What was the last thing you paid for with cash? A cheese and cracker plate and mini bottle of white zinfandel, on the Amtrack from NY to North Carolina.
44. When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper and mailed it? In June, I wrote a letter to my dad to accompany my Father’s Day card.
45. Can you change the oil on a car? Hell no! I’ve lived in NY for so long now, I don’t know if I still even know how to drive!
46. Your first love, what was the last thing you heard about him / her? My very first love ever, that he had dropped out of high school. (Can’t even imagine what he’s doing now). My first love in adulthood, that he’s a professor at the University of Chicago, that bastard!
47. How far back do you know about your ancestry? Just about three generations, unfortunately. I know that my great great paternal grandmother was an American Indian from the Blackfoot tribe!
48. The last time you dressed fancy, what did you wear and why did you dress fancy? For the finals evening of the U.S.National DanceSport Championships in Florida, we were supposed to dress up. I wore a little black cocktail dress and a crotched green shawl with black velvet tango shoes.
49. Does anything hurt on your body right now? No,thanks to the aforementioned Advil! Before that, my left tendonitis-prone knee was aching a bit.
50. Have you been burned by love? Definitely.
I don’t know how to tag people, but if anyone else does the survey, let me know! And happy Thanksgiving all!